Cops 'Lost' Rizzuto Before He Even Made it to Montreal

Rizzuto has shown the strength of his hand; he
is a classic mob boss, besting his foes, with no
compunction about murdering those he deems
deserving of such a penalty.

Vito Rizzuto gave law enforcement the slip the moment he entered Canada; and indeed, while the police  were probably taking bets on how long the once-called Teflon Don of Canada would live, they were certainly in for a surprise... They must've caught up with him since the below article was written, though.

According to the DigitalJournal, "Rizzuto, has been summoned to appear before the Charbonneau Commission that is investigating corruption in Quebec.

"Quebec police were able to serve Rizzuto a subpoena on November 19th in Montreal. Rizzuto seems to have been in hiding since he returned to Canada in October after being released from prison in the U.S. Many believe that Rizzuto is head of the Sicilian Mafia in Canada. Sgt. Claude Dennis of the Quebec provincial police only confirmed that Rizzuto was met and the subpoena served. [Emphasis added.]"

Briefly, The Commission of Inquiry on the Awarding and Management of Public Contracts in the Construction Industry, or the Charbonneau Commission, is a Quebec-based public inquiry into potential corruption in the management of public construction contracts. According to Wikipedia, "The commission was enacted on October 19, 2011 by the provincial Liberal government of Jean Charest, and is chaired by Justice France Charbonneau. On November 5, 2012, as a direct result of revelations made in the Commission, Montreal mayor Gérald Tremblay resigned."

From the Toronto Sun:

Ten minutes after former Mafia boss Vito Rizzuto left Toronto's Pearson airport on the night of Oct. 5, he was gone.

The RCMP set up a surveillance operation to track the former don's whereabouts after he left the airport. He had been freshly deported from the U.S. after serving six years for a 1981 mob hit.

However, the RCMP investigators quickly realized that although the former don's father, son and close associates were murdered while he was in prison, Rizzuto was neither isolated nor vulnerable.

Within minutes of Rizzuto driving away from Pearson, his car was joined by several other vehicles. A few sly car manoeuvres later and the RCMP lost track of him.

"It barely took 10 minutes," QMI Agency was told by a police source.

Detective Al Almeida with the York Regional Police told QMI Agency that "our officers haven't seen Rizzuto with their eyes anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area since he disembarked from the plane (at Pearson)."

Rizzuto has, however, been spotted several times in Montreal, according to QMI Agency sources.

Rizzuto's exact location is unknown. Also unclear is if the recent violence in Montreal is related to his return or simply random acts of murder and arson.

Former journalist and Mafia researcher Lee Lamothe told QMI Agency that at least in Toronto, the "paranoia has set in."

Lamothe said that high-ranking members of Toronto's mafia do not go out in public without body guards.

"No one (in mob circles) thought that Rizzuto would have stayed alive this long (after leaving prison)," Lamothe said.